Above the Datum - 'Growth'

Below the Datum - 'Evolved'
Draft Option 2
Above the Datum - 'Vanity'

Below the Datum - 'Evolved'
DEVELOPED OPTION 2
I viewed a lot of Swallow’s & Piccinini’s work to try to gain an understanding of the type of individuals they both were. I made this understanding an integral part to every decision about the studio/gallery spaces that I made.
With Swallow’s above the datum studio I tried to highlight his vanity in creating something as elegant and complete as the work but with the same amount of symbolism as he himself employs in his work. The outer shell of the Vanity structure represents what the rest of the world sees while the inner domes represent the ‘inner’ swallow which not many people see. I perceived this to be a safe-zone in which Swallow could work in confidence on his work. Then as the work becomes more developed it would move outside the inner dome into the space existing between the inner dome and the outer shell, symbolising its inevitable movement into the ‘outer world’.
In Piccinini’s below datum studio my aim was to create something which felt ‘evolved’ by employing as many biological features as possible. The shape of the studio is based on human anatomy and the textures applied re-enforce this biological inspiration. I wanted the studio to feel ‘alive’ as if it were a living/breathing entity. An underling idea has been that the studio feels as if part of something much larger, like a lung is to the circulatory system. The stair way fluctuates in size to imitate the motion of breathing and the expansion/retraction of the chest. The intention is for Piccinini to create here work in the closed biological space of her studio and then bring it into the real world and let it take its first breath.
Above the Datum - 'Vanity'
Below the Datum - 'Evolved'

Inside the below datum studio - 'Evolved'




No comments:
Post a Comment