Something that occurred to me after viewing Stephen Hawking’s work was his unbelievable thirst for knowledge and understanding.
“My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”
This is the reason I decided to use knowledge as the concept behind the scheme I am proposing. I defined knowledge as being having three core meanings – Understanding, Strength, and Power. I took these three meanings and used them to define the form of the Hawking’s laboratory.
I found that power was a significant factor of knowledge when considering the implications of his various theories on contemporary society. The power gained from understanding the complex physics of our universe has the potential to change how we live. I illustrated this power of knowledge by shaping the landform so that the laboratory appeared to shift the surrounding mountain range out of its way.
The strength of knowledge differs from power. Power is the ability of knowledge to change everything. Strength of knowledge is the ability to develop or evolve new ideas from what is known now. I found that Hawking’s theories have not always proven to be correct. They have however initiated research and other theories that bring new and better solutions. I illustrated the strength of knowledge structurally. The laboratory ‘spirals’ up to a greater understanding without any secondary support. Its strength directly relates to the greater understanding which it supports.
I illustrated understanding as the final element in the strength ‘spiral’. Instead of physically altering the volume of the element I nominated to use a texture instead. The dark texture symbolises greater understanding by being quite dense in its composition.
Nicole Kuepper’s Laboratory – “Change”
When analysing Nicole Kuepper’s research I found that one of the implications of her printable solar cells was change. When implemented the technology would initiate change in various areas, notably in the environment, socially in society, and economically. This was the concept behind the scheme I am proposing. The three forms of change are represented in both how I have arranged the five rectangular forms and the landscape.
I have chosen to represent environmental change using a shifting landscape. Kuepper’s solar cells would have a positive ‘green’ impact on the environment by providing cheap clean energy. This would be a shift away from the environmentally harsh energy production methods currently being employed. The landscape illustrates this by shifting from a harsh mountain range to a flat neutral/stable plain.
The transition from the harsh mountain range to flat neutral plain occurs on part of the base of the building. That is, the economic growth occurs inversely to the decline of harsh environmental practices as previously explained. The prosperity, as bought around by economic growth, is illustrated through the gradual escalation of the structure. The tallest element represents rising prosperity, supported by the elements which helped it to be achieved. The texture reinforces this aspect by suggesting continual growth.
Finally, I have chosen to illustrate social change through sustainability. Kuepper’s solar cells would have a drastically reduce our impact on the environment and inversely increase our sustainability. Dictionary.com defines sustainability as “to support, hold, or bear up from below”. I have interpreted this definition quite literary and supported the building using a long horizontal element. I have subtracted a part of the building at the base so that the structure would not be able to stand on its own and instead directly supported by the horizontal element.
Nicole Kuepper’s Laboratory resides inside this half of the structure (image below).
Meeting Space & Ramps
My meeting space resides to the side of the two laboratories and is approximately half way between the two. Both clients arrive to the meeting space in a distinctive and significant way.
Nicole Kuepper’s ramp starts almost at the base of her laboratory in the open neutral plain of the changed environment. My intention was for her ramp to starts quite unrestricted and open. However as the path climbs into the hill it becomes quite restricted and rough symbolising the harsh environmental habits of the past.
My intention for Stephen Hawking’s ramp was to create a ramp which considered the process of thought. The path gradually slops towards the meeting space; away from the ‘knowledge’ laboratory. This is a comment on how easy anything seems once it has been understood and how difficult it seemed before it has. This is illustrated in the gradual incline on the return journey to the laboratory. The ramp is calm and smooth its full length- symbolising the process of understanding. Another important feature of the ramp is how it suddenly bends about half way. This is a direct comment on the process of thinking and how quickly the train of thought can change or evolve into a new one.
Below, the structure, ramps, and meeting space (represented by a tree) as seen from above.
Nicole Kuepper’s laboratory, the beginning of her ramp, and the meeting space (represented by a tree)
Image demonstrating the scale of the structure.





No comments:
Post a Comment